Intermediate Electronics Engineer
To provide strong technical contributions with respect to all electronics product development initiatives in engineering and research projects, generating product specification, schematic capture, board layout, firmware development; performing component sourcing and testing for machine vision systems.
To be a prime contributor to the development of new products / technologies following Xiris’ New Product Development process, to ensure a sustained competitive advantage for Xiris, and strengthen the team collaboration between Software, Hardware, Optics and Mechanical engineering staff.
Specific Duties / Responsibilities
The incumbent will be involved with design and implementation of electronic components of machine vision and imaging systems.
The incumbent's duties include:
- Designs, tests, prototypes and implements digital and analog electronic circuits, PCB’s and cables; performs schematic capture, component specification, board layout, firmware development, etc.
- Evaluates technologies in the marketplace for their potential application to the company’s business and champions the design, prototyping and implementation efforts for the chosen technologies.
- Contributes to establishing base hardware platforms for all new products and conducts feasibility assessment of these platforms.
- Carries out the integration of optical, mechanical and electronics assemblies, as part of system development of Vision Inspection Systems.
- Helps source electronic and mechanical components used in systems; Interfaces with OEMs and vendors to ensure compatibility with OEM’s equipment with Xiris equipment.
- Assists in design verification, developing Test Procedures, Technical Documentation, Manufacturing Specifications, Operations and Installation Manuals.
- Supports field service or manufacturing technicians in troubleshooting and solving technical issues.
- Implements sound Hardware Engineering principles for maintaining our legacy products.
- Ensures compliance with Electrical Code and requirements for safety certification (i.e. CSA, CE, or TUV mark).
- Helps to consistently increase the value of Xiris’ products by striving to improve product performance while driving down cost.
- Provides focus and discipline to our systems development efforts by following Best Practices for Engineering and Change Management Process through policies and procedures, e.g.:
- New Product Release process
- Documentation Standards
- Engineering Change Requests
- Cost Benefit Analyses
A degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or in Physics with a focus on hardware & firmware development.
A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in schematic capture, board layout and firmware development, preferably in an entrepreneurial environment. A proven track record in the development highly successful electronics, with some exposure to FPGA programming.
Experience in the following additional areas would be a definite asset: development of machine vision products including optics technology, light sources, power supplies; Knowledge of electronics manufacturing processes, testing and troubleshooting for machine vision; some experience in mechanical design using Solid Works for creating 3D models and drawings of printed circuit boards and cable assemblies.
- Proven capability to understand optics, mechanical, electrical and software concepts.
- Broad technical expertise in product development life cycle, including understanding of Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 operating systems installed on various hardware platforms.
- Computer literate with Internet, Office automation packages: Microsoft Office, Visio, Adobe Acrobat.
- Good knowledge of electronics schematic design using OrCAD Capture software, and PCB Layout using Cadence Allegro software.
- Experience using laboratory equipment: oscilloscopes signal generators, data loggers, multi-meters, sensors.
- Excellent prototyping skills including hand soldering of surface-mount components.
- Excellent research skills using Internet and printed materials; Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; A thorough understanding of electrical codes and safety approval processes.
- Highly detail oriented to ensure that design specifications are applied as intended, that sufficient documentation is provided and that issues are resolved effectively.
- Strong time management skills in order to reliably deliver solutions within budget and tight timelines to meet customer’s expectations.
- Strong participation as a team member as well as working independently; highly energetic and confident to convey a positive and professional attitude and demeanour in all interactions with others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; highly effective in formulating and communicating concepts, ideas, strategy to internal / external parties.
Working on computer workstation in an office environment, with limited exposure to prototype and test lab environments. Working with electronic assembly and soldering tools, possibly in a clean room environment, for developing test boards and prototypes (25%). Occasional long hours, project driven. Some international travel is possible (<5%).
Technical Sales Rep
Is Sales in Your Vision?
You are a smart person. You understand technical issues and are finishing an engineering degree or diploma programme. Your GPA is excellent and you want to put your talent to the test in the “World of Business”. You love working with people and you want to work in sales! Maybe you have had some recent sales experience or maybe you just know that you have an inherent talent for selling. You thrive on the challenge of achieving great things!
As your first job, you want to work for a company that will invest in you, mentor you, train you and allow you to make progressively significant decisions on your own. You want to travel the world as part of your career, selling Canadian Technology
Is that you? If so, let’s continue the conversation. Xiris Automation Inc. is a leader in developing inspection equipment for niche markets, worldwide. Currently we have an outstanding career opportunity available for an achievement-driven Technical Sales Representative. We seek a new graduate, preferably with some previous business experience to put through our product and sales training program. Warning! You must have an entrepreneurial streak, have the right attitude and believe that you can sell. Is that you?
- Provide technical sales support to customer base and work on developing a consistent pipeline of opportunities in conjunction with other sales staff.
- Work with prospective customers, travelling to their site to provide demonstrations of equipment, answer questions and concerns as they develop.
- Contact prospective customers using leads provided by internal company databases, from trade journals, internet searches or industry networks.
- Generate weekly sales activity reports.
- Work with engineering to develop technical specifications of new products.
- Provide technical support to rest of sales team, providing updates for direct mail programs, contact relationship management software (Salesforce).
- Participate in some marketing related functions such as advertising, trade shows.
- Perform some market/sales research using Internet and other tools to identify new markets, prospects.
Location: Burlington, Ontario.
At Xiris we are always looking for talented, educated, experienced, and passionate people to join our team.
If you have a desire to be involved in a growing engineering company that focuses its efforts on creating the most innovative and advanced camera technology to recognize and prevent quality defects in manufactured goods, then Xiris is a perfect work environment for you.
We invite you to contact us, tell us a little about yourself, your experiences, education, and directional drive. Come and share with us your knowledge, while learning from some of the most talented professionals this industry has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you and expanding our Xiris team with new diverse talent.
Send Us Your Information and Resume